Retaining wall replacement with mass concrete wall
Client: Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council
- A 300m length of stone masonry retaining wall was in poor condition, located at the foot of Godley Reservoir in East Manchester.
- On behalf of Tameside MBC, Wilde Consulting Engineers undertook a feasibility study for maintaining or replacement of the retaining wall.
- The proposed solution comprised a mass concrete retaining wall clad with stone masonry.
- The highway at the foot of the wall is a key local route route between Hyde and Hattersley, therefore minimising traffic disruption was key to the project’s success.
- Other challenges included minimising the temporary and permanent land take to undertake the works.
- Consideration of the construction methodology was key as this impacted on the highway disruption and temporary private landtake required.
- The project was a success, completed on time and to budget.
See photo taken before: